Scripting

Marvelous #3

Marvelous Optimization #3 – Faster Imports

December 11, 2011

This example demonstrates that even a single-step script can be optimized. You just have to think a little bit out of the box… I was showing this as a surprise in my session Marvelous Optimizations at Pause On Error [x] London 2011. I used a sample file with 25 fields and 5,000 records and imported these records [...]

Read more →
Marvelous #2

Marvelous Optimization #2

November 10, 2011

The second example I was showing in my session Marvelous Optimizations at Pause On Error [x] London 2011 was the script for selecting Random Set of Records. I found this example in the FileMaker Knowledge Base and optimized it to run at least 158 times faster when selecting 10 random records out of 50,000. This version of [...]

Read more →
Marvelous #1

Marvelous Optimization #1

November 7, 2011

This is the first example I was showing in my session Marvelous Optimizations at Pause On Error [x] London 2011. I already wrote about this optimization some time ago. It’s the one that led me to unveil the Marvelous Optimization Formula. You can find the original article here: FileMaker Script Execution Time Cut From 5 [...]

Read more →
Event.log

Debugging Scripts by Writing to Event.log

October 17, 2011

This is a fresh story of me spending hours trying to fix a technical issue and accidentally revealing a gold nugget. A few days ago one of my nightly server-side scripts stopped working without any apparent reason. But when I tried to run the script in FileMaker Pro it worked just fine. I really needed [...]

Read more →
Dice

Random Set of Records (optimized)

September 29, 2011

I noticed that one of the articles updated in the official FileMaker Knowledge Base on September 23, 2011 was explaining how to select a random set of records in a FileMaker database. I was wondering how fast the currently recommended technique is and whether I can make it faster with the help of FM Bench. I tried [...]

Read more →

FileMaker Script Execution Time Cut From 5 Hours To 6 Seconds

March 17, 2011

Sometimes, not often, I accidentally achieve results that look too marvelous to be real. But they are. Just like in this case. Last week I assigned Petr, our internal system developer, the task to optimize one server-side script. The script recently started taking over 8 hours to run and reaching the expiration limit we have [...]

Read more →